Bison Tips & Tricks
Bison is best enjoyed rare to medium-rare. It’s a dense protein, so even if you usually order steak well done, you’ll enjoy bison medium-rare. Believe me I learned this the hard way, cook to no more than medium rare!
1/3 Less Time
Bison steaks require less time than beef to cook. For a 1” steak, we recommend about 3 minutes per side on high heat to maintain a moist and tender texture for medium rare.
Let It Rest
Don’t cut your delicious bison too soon! Rest it twice the time you would for beef (8- 10 minutes is good rule of thumb for burgers and steaks. Hot dogs and sausages let rest 3-5 minutes), so the moisture is re-absorbed and your bison will be tender and juicy.
Check the Temp
Bison steaks and bugers should be cooked to an internal temperature of 120–140°. For the best tasting bison, trust your meat thermometer. It is worth the effort!
Check out this recipe for your grill. Peaches will be in season soon.
Grilled Bison Burgers with Peaches and Jalapeño
- 1 lb ground bison
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 2 ripe peaches seed removed, and sliced into rounds or wedges
- 1 fresh baguette sliced into 4 slightly larger than burger-sized pieces, and opened
- ½ cup feta crumbled, preferably Bulgarian
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 jalapeño sliced into thin rounds
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator when cold, and place in a bowl. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper, then lightly combine, and let sit until it comes close to room temperature (about 15-20 minutes).
- Preheat the grill or grill pan. When hot, lower to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, shape the meat into four patties (not too thick unless you like it that way). Gently rub a little olive oil on both sides of the patty, and then place on the grill. Cook for about four minutes on each side for medium rare, or maybe a minute or two longer, depending on the thickness of your burger. Or cook until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Let the burger sit for a couple of minutes before you serve it.
- Meanwhile, add the peaches on the grill after a couple of minutes, and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until soft and tender, with lovely grill marks on it.
- About a minute or so before the burgers are done, brush the inside of the sliced baguette with olive oil, and grill, until lightly toasted.
- Place a burger on each baguette half; top with the basil, grilled peaches, jalapeño, and feta, and then with the other baguette half.