For me there is nothing better than a grilled portabella mushroom. I grill them all summer long, making a perfect plant-based cheese burger! They are delicious!!
Our mushrooms come from River Valley Ranch in Burlington, Wisconsin. A great, local, third generation family farm.
Grilled Portabella “Burgers” with Roasted Red Peppers and Swiss
- 4 Portabella mushroom caps
- ⅓ cup Wildfire Backyard Marinade
- 1 cup Roasted red peppers drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 Avocado sliced thin
- 1 Beefsteak tomato or Purple Cherokkee Heirloom tomato sliced thick
- 1 Medium red onion sliced into 4 thick wedges
- Good Egg Mayo
- 4 Buns of choice: Hamburger, Kaiser, Brioche. Lightly grilled or toasted. Optional
- Gently rinse and Pat dry mushroom caps. Place them smooth side up in shallow baking dish.
- Pour marinade over caps, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove caps one at a time and place on preheated grill (reserve the marinade). Grill for 5-8 minutes per side.
- Brush mushrooms with marinade during grilling.
- During last 2 minutes of cooking, top each cap with roasted peppers and cheese. Leave on grill until cheese is melted.
- To finish, place the grilled portobella mushrooms on the buns and top with sliced red onions, avocado, tomato and mayo. Serve on plates and enjoy!